Sonic for the PS3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hime Xiao Qiao

Precious Raider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:58 am
Sonic the Hedgehog (also called Sonic Next-Gen or Sonic 360 to differentiate it from similarly-titled games) is the name of the next-generation video game featuring Sonic to be released on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. SEGA has said the release date for the game will be the same day the PS3 comes onto the market (making it a launch title) with the Xbox 360 version releasing on the same day. This would set the U.S. release date at November 14, 2006. It is being developed at Sonic Team, directed by Shun Nakamura.

It was revealed during a press release on September 9, 2005; Yuji Naka hinted that this game may be a recreation or a retelling of the original Sega Genesis game Sonic the Hedgehog, using speeds "only capable on next gen systems", though his comments could equally refer to the design-process and not the storyline itself (which appears to be an all new story rather than a remake of any kind) returning to its roots. Its release will mark the 15th anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog, just as Sonic Adventure 2 marked the 10th.

Among the new innovations revealed are the incorporation of passing time, including the realistic movement of the sun, as well as highly detailed characters and landscapes (in one demo, a tree was shown in-game with mushrooms growing on it). Yuji Naka has stated that the general theme of the game will be "What if Sonic were real?"

However, Naka had recently departed from Sonic Team and Sega on May 8, 2006, to form his own studio, PROPE. It is unknown about how this Sonic game will progress without his supervision and whether Nakamura will carry on designing the game himself.

Although a separate project is in development for the Wii, it is nonetheless unknown at this time if there will be a version of this game for that system.

Rings have expanded functionality. Rather than simply being a measure of life, they can now be used to purchase items and abilities in the Town Stages like the Black Market in the Chao Garden. In addition, the more rings Sonic carries, the faster his top speed is - similar to the Sonic Advance titles. The more rings Silver carries, the more powerful his abilities become. The rings also help replenish his telekinesis bar. It is currently unknown what effect rings have on Shadow (possibly the potency of his vehicular weapons). Sonic doesn't always lose all of his rings in one go either. Depending on how he is attacked, he loses amounts varying from 1 ring to all rings.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:59 am
Playable
A recent trailer revealed that it is possible to play as several other characters on top of Sonic. The known cast is:

Sonic the Hedgehog - The Hero of the Story, who, after befriending the Princess Elise, takes it upon himself to rescue her. When controlling Sonic, the player will get to experience high speed, Sonic Adventure-style gameplay. Sonic also gets faster in speed the more rings he collects.
Shadow the Hedgehog - It is currently unknown how Shadow fits in to the game's storyline. In the official E3 trailer and screenshots, Shadow is seen driving an armed four-wheeled vehicle, suggesting that his gameplay may be similar to that of his spin-off title, Shadow the Hedgehog. According to the game's marketing director on the E3 2006 Show floor, Shadow will be able to drive vehicles to get to new areas. In the latest batch of Screenshots, Shadow is shown walking around outside of vehicles, and fighting a massive army of hundreds of enemies. In addition, Some screens show him glowing red - Suggesting his "Chaos Blast" manouver will return, as well as one screen where his hands are glowing yellow, suggesting that his "Chaos Spear" attack will be useable as well.
Silver the Hedgehog - Silver is a time-traveling Hedgehog who has returned to the past in order to stop Sonic from becoming the "Iblis Trigger". Silver has psychokinetic powers, which are the main feature of his gameplay. Using his psychokinetic powers, Silver is able to pick up objects around the playing field and throw them at enemies, including projectiles like missiles. He also possesses the ability to levitate in the air for differing amounts of time (using up his energy bar), he also gains more abilities the more rings he collects.

Non-Playable
Dr. Eggman - The main villain in the Sonic series and (presumably) this game. He appears to be after the secret called the "Flames of Disaster". Apparently only Princess Elise knows what the secret is. His appearance has also noticeably changed from the style established in Sonic Adventure.
Princess Elise - The Princess of Soleanna, and Eggman's kidnapping victim. Having stopped the destructive "Flames of Disaster" 10 years ago, only she knows their secrets, and their relation to the Chaos Emerald.

Rose - Sonic's would-be girlfriend. It was confirmed in an interview that Amy would be a support character.
Unknown Hedgehog - It is currently unknown what role this character plays, but it has been seen fighting Shadow amongst an army of black-colored enemies, suggesting that it may be evil.
According to an interview at the Sega E3 booth 2006, many of Sonic's friends will be found in town stages.  

Hime Xiao Qiao

Precious Raider

Hime Xiao Qiao

Precious Raider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:03 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Princess Elise  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:35 pm
Hmm, interesting.

I'm getting a Wii myself, so I'll end up with Sonic Wildfire.  

Altae

Hime Xiao Qiao

Precious Raider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:42 pm
i thought it looked very interesting when i heard about it.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:38 pm
I'm a big Sonic the Hedgehog and co. fan. I've been playing since Sega Genesis. But, I'm not going to be paying that much for a PS3. I'll be waiting until it comes down on the price.But I an't wait to play it. It sounds like a great game.  

Spooky

Everyday Spook

50,350 Points
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Haunter 250
  • The Edgiest 250
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50

Felifae

Feline Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:56 pm
Well, It sounds like a very cool game. But, I don't think I'll get the Xbox360 or the PS3. But, I'm gonna get sonic wild fire when it comes out. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:19 pm
i'm gettin X 360 and i hope they have a sonic game for this  

Fullmetal Soul Trader

"TDX" Tails Doll X - Video-Gaming Subforum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas