Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
Gay Marriage ??? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is your opinion on Gay Marriage?
  Marriage is about love not gender.
  It's against the bible.
  I am gay and i want to be able to get married to the one i love.
  It's sick and it's wrong.
  I support it.
  no answer.
View Results

PinkAbsynthe

Wintry Trickster

31,725 Points
  • Cool Competitor 150
  • Frozen Scavenger 250
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:34 pm
As always, this is a very difficult subject for people to talk about because everyone wants to lose their tempers. I don't agree with it, but I'm not going to get all nuts either. Everyone has a right to be happy, it doesn't matter who they are with as long as they are. I mean, what right do I have to tell someone they can't be with who they love because they are of the same sex? As before, just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean that I have a right to say its wrong and should be outlawed. Be happy with who you are and love who you want.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:45 pm
I really don't care anymore. It doesn't even affect me; I'm tired with being assaulted by the same retarded arguments from both sides.

Far right: Gay SEX is what is discouraged in the bible, not MARRIAGE. Try reading it once and a while.

Far left: The fact that you are fighting for your rights is admirable, but don't you dare call it oppression. Black people were oppressed; they were stripped of their rights because of the way they were born. If homosexuality is a choice, then you actively chose to join the 'oppressed', and you have no right to use that term.

I'm an a*****e when I'm tired.  

Shazbot_the_Pirate

[ theoretic martyr ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:04 pm
Shazbot_the_Pirate
I really don't care anymore. It doesn't even affect me; I'm tired with being assaulted by the same retarded arguments from both sides.

Far right: Gay SEX is what is discouraged in the bible, not MARRIAGE. Try reading it once and a while.

Far left: The fact that you are fighting for your rights is admirable, but don't you dare call it oppression. Black people were oppressed; they were stripped of their rights because of the way they were born. If homosexuality is a choice, then you actively chose to join the 'oppressed', and you have no right to use that term.

So by your logic, Hitler was not opressing the Jews since they "chose" to be Jewish? That doesn't make sense. Nobody chooses to be oppressed.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:20 pm
[ theoretic martyr ]
Shazbot_the_Pirate

So by your logic, Hitler was not opressing the Jews since they "chose" to be Jewish? That doesn't make sense. Nobody chooses to be oppressed.
No, they were Jewish by birth. Jewish is an ethnicity, as well as a religion. It was the ethnicity that Nazi Germany attempted to wipe out.  

Shazbot_the_Pirate

[ theoretic martyr ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:19 am
Shazbot_the_Pirate

No, they were Jewish by birth. Jewish is an ethnicity, as well as a religion. It was the ethnicity that Nazi Germany attempted to wipe out.

Perhaps a bad example.

So hypothetically, if somebody is Christian living in a Muslim country where they would be killed for practicing their religion, they would not be oppressed since they choose to be a Christian?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:34 am
[ theoretic martyr ]
Shazbot_the_Pirate

Perhaps a bad example.

So hypothetically, if somebody is Christian living in a Muslim country where they would be killed for practicing their religion, they would not be oppressed since they choose to be a Christian?
Technically, it is oppression, but it is of their own choosing. They would have known the dangers of being a Christian in a radical Muslim environment, but choose to go anyway. They have chosen to put themselves in that situation.

It is oppression, but at the same time, it isn't. Real oppression comes from somebody keeping you down because of something you can't change, not because of a choice you've made.

The way you're born is something that can't be changed, but the way you live your life can.  

Shazbot_the_Pirate

[ theoretic martyr ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:14 pm
Shazbot_the_Pirate
Technically, it is oppression, but it is of their own choosing. They would have known the dangers of being a Christian in a radical Muslim environment, but choose to go anyway. They have chosen to put themselves in that situation.

It is oppression, but at the same time, it isn't. Real oppression comes from somebody keeping you down because of something you can't change, not because of a choice you've made.

The way you're born is something that can't be changed, but the way you live your life can.

What would you call it then? I cannot find one source that gives the same definition of oppress or oppression as you do.

op·press –verb (used with object)
1. to burden with cruel or unjust impositions or restraints; subject to a burdensome or harsh exercise of authority or power: a people oppressed by totalitarianism.
2. to lie heavily upon (the mind, a person, etc.): Care and sorrow oppressed them.
3. to weigh down, as sleep or weariness does.
4. Archaic. to put down; subdue or suppress.
5. Archaic. to press upon or against; crush.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:17 pm
[ theoretic martyr ]
Shazbot_the_Pirate

What would you call it then? I cannot find one source that gives the same definition of oppress or oppression as you do.

op·press –verb (used with object)
1. to burden with cruel or unjust impositions or restraints; subject to a burdensome or harsh exercise of authority or power: a people oppressed by totalitarianism.
2. to lie heavily upon (the mind, a person, etc.): Care and sorrow oppressed them.
3. to weigh down, as sleep or weariness does.
4. Archaic. to put down; subdue or suppress.
5. Archaic. to press upon or against; crush.

My vocabulary fails me, but I've got a huge dictionary and thesaurus right above my computer desk. I'll let you know.

My point is this; I can totally respect the fact that gay and bisexual people are fighting for their right to be married to whomever they want. It's an admirable and just cause. But my personal definition of oppression is a people being treated unfairly because of something they can't change. If somebody doesn't like being kept down because of something they can change, then the simplest thing to do is to change it.  

Shazbot_the_Pirate

[ theoretic martyr ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:48 am
Shazbot_the_Pirate

My vocabulary fails me, but I've got a huge dictionary and thesaurus right above my computer desk. I'll let you know.

My point is this; I can totally respect the fact that gay and bisexual people are fighting for their right to be married to whomever they want. It's an admirable and just cause. But my personal definition of oppression is a people being treated unfairly because of something they can't change. If somebody doesn't like being kept down because of something they can change, then the simplest thing to do is to change it.

But nobody even knows yet whether homosexuality is a choice or genetic.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:00 pm
[ theoretic martyr ]
Shazbot_the_Pirate

But nobody even knows yet whether homosexuality is a choice or genetic.
I believe it to more psychological than it is genetic, but it's effectively the same.  

Shazbot_the_Pirate

jabbaha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:37 pm
I think that gay or lesbian people should be able to get married. I really don't see what the difference is between making a vow of commitment and marriage is, except the benefits, if someone loves someone enough to want to marry them they should be able to.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:55 pm
Gay marrage should totally be legal! AND!! Why was those two lesbian couple able to get married legally?! I don't get it....  

AxTaintedxMemory

randomdinoninja

2,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:40 pm
I think if you truely love someone no matter what gender you should be allowed to marry them. No one should have the right to tell same sex couples that they can't get married.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:41 pm
Well i guess gay or lesbian should be allowed to marry each other like that one thing says all men/women are created equal so they should be able to do what they want.  

The Lone Nut

Extended Discussion!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces