Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
College is crazy expensive! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you pay for college(or will pay if not currently in college)?
I work and pay as I go
52%
 52%  [ 11 ]
My parents pay for it
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
I work for a while and then go to college full time
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
College? Who needs it!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'll pay for college with the gold I get from polls/I don't know
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 21

Anime Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:50 am
I'm a junior in college, and I just transferred into a bigger college and it is FREAKING EXPENSIVE eek !! It's insane! Luckily, my parents agreed to pay for my first 4 years of college. If that wasn't the case, there is no way I could afford to go. And the college isn't even expensive compared to the really rich colleges.

Is it just me, or are college students getting screwed over big time?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:49 am
With emphasis on getting a college degree today, institutions can charge higher tuition fees to pad the salaries of the Powers That Be. It's supply and demand at its finest.

Luckily (or unluckily, depending on how you put it) Most of my college is currently paid for by the State and loans, taking the ease off of my parents, who have two others in college at the same time.

Still, even if I had to take it all out in loans, I'd probably still pay for it. No price is too much for a quality education, and if that's the price you have to pay to attend a top university, so be it.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

beaulolais

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:28 pm
i go to an academically accredited online college.

some of these seem like their credits are ok and they say "accredited" but the agencies which accredit them aren't recognized, unlike Middle States, which accredits mine.

so my degree is accepted anywhere, and i save housing and meal costs.

there's an extensive online library, all the profs have doctorates (!), and i can go to and from class as i please as long as i check in several times a week.

this leaves time for me to have a 3/4 time job which helps with costs.

i also have the standard grants and loans of course.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:07 pm
I received a loan from the government. The loan and debt were both supposed to be managed by the bank, but at around the time I started going to college, the bank decided that their profit margin from student loans was too low--too many students were finding ways to pay off their loans in full within one year, so the bank received no interest--so they terminated that operation. Following the first few months of college, all my loans had come from the government.

Anyway. I wish I'd gone to an accredited online college. It would have saved me 5-6 aggravating hours on public transit each day. >.< And being able to sign on or sign off as I wished would be far better than being stuck at college for 4 hours with nothing to do (but also not enough time to go home and return) while waiting for the next period to start!

Deciare

Jshin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:24 pm
College is expensive. However, it is a good investment.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:39 pm
Colleges are spending too much on athletics and overhead and passing the bill on to the students. U of M is proposing a nearly 1/4 billion dollar project for its stadium when it has been raising tuition significantly. does this seem counter-intuitive to anyone else?  

J-E-O-C

blackcat1333

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:39 pm
I dont understand why college has to be so expensive. I started at a junior college but cant quite imagine how I'm going to afford to go back. I guess some day I'll have the money or maybe I'll just find the winning lotto ticket somewhere. I guess I can always hope...  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:22 pm
jeoc
Colleges are spending too much on athletics and overhead and passing the bill on to the students. U of M is proposing a nearly 1/4 billion dollar project for its stadium when it has been raising tuition significantly. does this seem counter-intuitive to anyone else?

Not really, colleges generally have those projects funded by by their football programs. And athletic programs can actually be helpful to universities, especially when it comes to undergraduate recruitment (eg. OU wouldn't attract as many students if it weren't for the success of its football team).  

Jshin

BandofDans

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:26 pm
The number of people in modern America who are over-educated and underemployed almost makes me regret going to an "institute of higher learning". If it weren't for my desire to learn, that is.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:41 pm
mine's really expensive, but i took out loans/parents got loans too/and i got financial aid...

the hiring/starting salary is topnotch at my uni, so i decided it was worth the extra tution and loans.

one thing that helps me (since housing is pretty reasonable here) was moving off campus since campus housing is twice as much as i pay for an apartment.  

Lyokia

Miss Irene Adler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:00 am
gonk I totally agree.

The prices are getting higher, the chances of getting into a college are getting slim, and worst of all, the chances of graduating in 4 years are no longer existing in our society...the average is now 6 or more years. gonk

I'm still in high school, but I'm already scared. ;_; All at the same time, thank goodness I'm leaving home. I can't wait.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:29 am
College is crazy expensive these days. And with entry-level positions in the 15K to 25K per year range, it isn't easy to pay all those loans back.

I was sort of lucky. Not lucky enough to avoid the loans altogether, but fortunate enough to have gone to college before the prices began soaring to astronomical levels. sweatdrop I received a Bachelor's degree, and only had 15K in loans to pay off.

I've been paying on the loans for nearly 11 years. The last payment will probably be made in January...and you'd better believe I'm celebrating it! confused Those loans are a thorn in the side of most graduates. You can defer them, but that won't make them go away. Only paying them down will.  

BlueberryJoy

High-functioning Cutesmasher

12,475 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Pet Lover 100

The Kid Disaster

7,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:21 pm
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm going to be attending a community college in the fall to obtain my Associate's, and I was hoping to transfer to a larger university to get my Bachelor's. The problem is, neither of my parents makes enough to pay my way through college, and yet they both make too much to get me any significant form of financial aid from the college. It's vicious.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:50 pm
Anime Duncan
I'm a junior in college, and I just transferred into a bigger college and it is FREAKING EXPENSIVE eek !! It's insane! Luckily, my parents agreed to pay for my first 4 years of college. If that wasn't the case, there is no way I could afford to go. And the college isn't even expensive compared to the really rich colleges.

Is it just me, or are college students getting screwed over big time?

I guess the idea is that when we get a great job with our fancy degree we will make back the money we paid and more...

Although I keep hearing a B.A. is not enough anymore sweatdrop

<3 Fen

Fen_Lauba

doodlebuggey88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:21 pm
Ah yes, I've had to sell my sould to pay for college. Thank goodness for scholarships and paying parents back later. Especially as I'm going to a private school. It sucks me dry of money but serves horrible food in the cafeteria. scream  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff