Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
Death Penalty

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Death penalty:
  pro
  con
  neutral
View Results

swtlildee1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:17 pm
I recently had a debate on death penalty for speech and debate class, but I'm not really satisfied with what the other team came up with. I'm con death penalty (against), and i'd like to know some perspectives and facts from other people (mainly pro).

Why death penalty should be abolished:

1. Doesn't effectively deter serious crime. 80% of experts in criminology agree with this. The deterrence of crime depends on would-be murderers identifying with executed killers. Psychological studies show that humans identify with those whom we admire or envy. It is highly unlikely that calculating killers would identify with outcasts who have committed brutal and cowardly crimes. The contrast leads to potential killers thinking that the death penalty is reserved for people unlike themselves
2. Innocents can be wrongly convicted. I'm aware that innocents can be wrongly convicted in any situation, but for the death penalty, there is no formal system in which an innocent on death row can present evidence of his/her innocence.

3. $$$- super costly. Each death penalty case averages about $1.2 million dollars each. In Florida, $3.2 million, North Carolina, $2.6 million, and California, a whopping $90 million a year. Randy Hearrell, executive director of the Kansas Judicial Council, said a life without parole option could save the state between $400,000 and $500,000 per capital murder trial. (and remember, this is your money)

4. Against 8th ammendment of the bill of rights. The 8th amendment clearly states, “Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.”
For lethal injection, incompetant attendants are used becuase doctors aren't liscensed to kill. Since they don't know much medical stuff, they have to cut up slice the convicted to find a suitable vein.
Electric chair: Convicteds are burnt in the electric chair for over 15 minutes before they finally die. When the electric chair was first introduced in 1930, it was tested on live pigs in public. Reporters at the event exclaimed that it was more savage than being drawn and quartered. Drawing and quartering is when a man is hung to death, savagely taken down from his post, has his intestines pulled out and burned, and then cut into quarters.

info collected from :: The Death Penalty by Gail B. Stewart, ncadp.com or National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, and Wikipedia.

er...good luck?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:52 pm
think about the crimes the people committed in the first place before you go around letting these criminals off with the possibility of bail.  

Akkiko-san

The Lone Nut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:18 pm
i say they way they killed a person they should be killed the same way you know an eye for a eye.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:22 pm
I don't think that people should die by the death penaty I think they should die the way they were supposed to

randomdinoninja

2,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Minniedog45

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:57 am
i think spending you whole life in jail is worse than dying plus if they killed somebody your just doing what they did  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:41 pm
i am partly for and againist netrual.... i fin d if they are mass murders and such they should have there life aswell striped from they. And i find if they are on a body count of 1 or maybe 2 they should get a life term in prison so they may not get out plus if they are small they get rapped and that would also be bad as you could obivouisly so as long i don't have to worry about a dead loved one i really don't care but i can feel for them  

nightslipper

nightslipper

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:43 pm
Akkiko-san
think about the crimes the people committed in the first place before you go around letting these criminals off with the possibility of bail.

im also with her because if bail happens what then another 10 people dead or whatever which means that wasn't enough to change there life so they do need in some cases  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:56 am
I got a question: What are you doing, if you judged an innocent?

Will you do black magic to wake him from the dead?  

Verderbnis

Little_Mistweave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:52 am
I am mostly neutral about it because my brother was murdered and the guy that did it was sentenced to death and I know it won't fix anything or bring my brother back but I also don't want him to get out and kill anyone else I know because he knows all my family and he does alot of drugs and when he killed one of my brother he was high on coke and drunk. I am glad in a way that he is not going to be able to hurt anyone anymore but giving him the death penalty is the same as what he did to my brother and that isn't right. I am confused about how to word how I feel about it but maybe someone can make a little bit of sense out of it lol.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:18 pm
Akkiko-san

I agree with you they should consider the crimes before they let them off...  

Alexa_Kaulitz_Riddle

Queen Belle von Hellbond

7,600 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:07 pm
Kitten_Ross
Akkiko-san

I agree with you they should consider the crimes before they let them off...

I agree f someone murdered say 5 people and then raped 3, They should have no way of getting out and doing it again. When someone is just put in jail, if they have a good enough lawyer their sentence can be reduced and that person could just commit even more crimes. With death penalty, there is no chance of that happening.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:45 am
I believe in the death penalty, but not for many offenses.

Rape, horrid as it is, should not be punishable by death unless it involves a)torture b)young children or c) the person in question is a repeated offender.

Murder (not "manslaughter" but outright murder), I support the death penalty for, period. Murder is the "big one", so to speak, and such a person should not in my opinion be allowed to walk freely among his fellow man. Manslaughter is one thing; things will happen, mutually agreed-to fights will go bad, people will mistakenly feel their own or someone else's life is in danger, and lives will be lost in such cases. But murder; but killing someone just because you wanted to, or because it "was just easier"... That is unforgivable.

Aside from the extreme, unique or semi-unique case, I do not believe in death for any other offense.  

Officer Hot-Pants

Dedicated Lunatic

9,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Marathon 300
Extended Discussion!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items