Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
Right to life: is abortion wrong? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is abortion wrong?
  Yes
  No
View Results

walkingundine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:06 am
old_scoutmaster
I have to look at abortion in many ways. First just to kill the unborn baby because your boyfriend did it to you. Why not put the baby up for adoption.
One reason for abortion is the mother's life at stake or the baby's life is in jeopardy. This can happen both ways. What if a girl is raped? Or a relative raped the girl. I am not certain in all cases if the baby would be grow up being with special needs. What about kids that are special needs kids do they have a right to life?

Why not adoption? Funny you should ask. I am an adoptee.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/statistics/adoption.cfm

There's a link to some statistics on the subject.
In essence: Babies are likelier to be adopted if they're healthy and white. The older a baby gets, the less likely it is to be adopted- and past school age, it's much likelier to remain in the foster system until 18.

Every day, I thank my lucky stars that there was a family who took me in- I owe them a debt that can never, ever be repaid. The kids who 'age out' of foster care tend to leave it emotionally scarred, with no sense of family or permanence. That could have been me.

I would not place offspring of mine up for adoption because the system of adoption agencies and foster care frankly is broken and underfunded. Adoptions fall through all the time- the background and financial checks involved are extensive for would-be parents, and when they're declined that baby or child goes back into the queue and gets older and less adoptable by the minute.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:16 pm
So are you saying you would rather have an abortion than put your children up for adoption? or that you would just keep the child and raise it yourself, if you got pregnant?  

Iconised Ghost

Sincerely Ophelia

Devoted Sage

8,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:04 am
gumbyscout
I'm against abortion, if you didn't want to get pregnate, then you shouldn't have been screwing around. You shouldn't be able to erase a "mistake" so easily of off your slate, it is a living person who should be able to live rather you want them to or not; Just because I don't like someone doesn't mean I can just go and have them killed razz .

I'm rather divided on the issue, but I perfectly agree with everything you said, mainly the "you shouldn't be able to erase a "mistake" so easily of off your slate". I do not like the idea of killing a helpless fetus, however, imagine if the so called "mistake" grew up. They would live a terrible life. Unwanted babies end up in orphanges, foster care homes, or stay with parents but are treated very poorly. I would rather the child died before they become conscience, than for them to end up practically on the streets. I'd say no life is better than a miserable one.

(religiously speaking) Besides, its soul would go to heaven right away, where as if it grew up, heaven is not a guarantee.

It really depends on who the "mistake" belongs to. Like if its a married couple who are living a happy life and the mom got pregnant when they didn't want anymore kids, deal with it and forget about abortion. However, if its a one night stand thing, boyfriend/girlfriend thing, member of a broken family and your a wild child/adult, and you accidentally get pregnant, you ought to get an abortion if you can. If a child is concieved in any other context besides that of a complete, happy family, then I'd say an abortion is required. Because keeping the child is a recipe for disaster; I can almost guarantee the child will either be miserable and oppresed or turn into a bad egg. Furthermore, who wants to grow up knowing they weren't supposed to be born. That they were a "mistake". That's very sad and depressing. "My parents didn't want me". That could make a kid go suicidal even. so yeah.

basically, either way, "mistakes" grow up with lots of inner turmoil. so much for life. thanx for all its troubles and kinks....

_Secret_Angel_3 =3

I finally read through everyne's comments. It doesn't appear that anyone disagrees with the unanimous opinion that it depends on the situation whether abortion is appropiate or not, and that either way the choice should belong to the women holding the baby. so I'd say the final conclusion has been drawn.

_Secret_Angel_3 =3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:11 am
Iconised Ghost
So are you saying you would rather have an abortion than put your children up for adoption? or that you would just keep the child and raise it yourself, if you got pregnant?

not that it was aimed at me, but to answer your question, yes. why do you think orphanages are always so full. Most kids never get adopted. besides, I would never be in that situation in the first place because I would never get unintenally pregnant. I'm a virgin till marriage. although if I was raped (God forbid) I would DEFINENTLY get an abortion. If I kept the kid, everytime I look him I'd probably remember that awful experience. and the kid would feel disgusted of himself probably cuz his Dad's a raper and he was concieved through rape. I mean, who wants to live like that? it'd be hard on everyone.

_Secret_Angel_3 =3

Sincerely Ophelia

Devoted Sage

8,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100

Sincerely Ophelia

Devoted Sage

8,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:16 am
Thanatos Phoenix
Hanami10
Thanatos Phoenix
sugar plum pie
wtf have you all forgotten that a girl could be raped by her dad or cousin and not want to harm the baby by having it come out retarded
or maybe if she only had a choice to kill the baby because it would hurt the baby and the mom !

think
Finally someone that agrees with me 3nodding

I kind of agree too

I think it would really really depend on the situation. However, in cases of rape I think that it should be considered. Also, if the person bearing the baby does not have the financial strength to support him/her, then I would have to say that that could be a situation where it would be better for the baby to never have been born(I'm going to be sooo killed for this quote). If the baby is born but there are no loving parent(s) to take care of him/her, then he/she will probably just become malnourished and die anyway. I know that adoption can also be an option, but that doesn't always mean that they will actually be adopted, and if they are, by a loving family.

Another thing is that if the woman had been smoking, drinking, or doing some things she shouldn't have been doing while pregnant, and might have caused the baby to become deformed or retarded.

one last thing is if the person's body(i.e. hipbones) turn out to be unfavorable for childbearing. If having a baby could threaten the person's and/or the baby's life, then that person should not have her/him. neutral

So although I don't say every pregnant woman has a right to abort, I say that some do. I believe that being COMPLETELY against abortion seems quite unreasonable. talk2hand
Seconds that, every word.

triple that, every letter.
btw, I read this after I posted my opinion. so yeah.

_Secret_Angel_3 =3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:20 am
Secret Angel 3
Iconised Ghost

not that it was aimed at me, but to answer your question, yes. why do you think orphanages are always so full. Most kids never get adopted. besides, I would never be in that situation in the first place because I would never get unintenally pregnant. I'm a virgin till marriage. although if I was raped (God forbid) I would DEFINENTLY get an abortion. If I kept the kid, everytime I look him I'd probably remember that awful experience. and the kid would feel disgusted of himself probably cuz his Dad's a raper and he was concieved through rape. I mean, who wants to live like that? it'd be hard on everyone.

_Secret_Angel_3 =3

i find that quite interesting (not in a nasty way) because of your religious beliefs. Would consider an abortion under circumstances like rape as much of a sin as you would if it was done just in the case of an unexpected pregnancy in a couple situation? Do you consider it sinful at all?  

Iconised Ghost

Sincerely Ophelia

Devoted Sage

8,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:07 pm
Iconised Ghost
Secret Angel 3
Iconised Ghost

_Secret_Angel_3 =3

i find that quite interesting (not in a nasty way) because of your religious beliefs. Would consider an abortion under circumstances like rape as much of a sin as you would if it was done just in the case of an unexpected pregnancy in a couple situation? Do you consider it sinful at all?

actually, I personally do not find it sinful. but in my religion, after what my mom has told me, it is generally not accepted. now many years ago, the choice of abortion didn't exist (as far as I kow). so the religion itself has no specific directions or preferences as to the issue of abortion. according to my mom, scholars say that as long as the baby's existance isn't harmful to the mom, then she should not go for an abortion. In my religion it is said that a soul is attached to the fetus after 40 days of it initial existance, so getting an abortion after 2 months would actually be murder. So as long as there's a good reason and it's before the 40 day mark, I'd say your good to go. And in the case of rape in particular, I think you'll know your prenant long before the 40th day. I would go to check immediately the next day. I hope this answers your questions. I actually asked my mom if it would be ok to get an abortion to avoid having an disabled/autistic/not normal in someway child. she put it something like this. Nothing happens to you unless God meant it. If you weren't meant to have a disabled child, then even if you did drugs while pregnant, your child would still be normal. and if you were meant to be tested with a disabled child, even if your family history is spotless and your pregnancy was well-observed/supervised, your child would turn out to be whatever God meant for you. So even if I get an abortion every time I'm pregnant with an autistic child, if God meant for me an autistic child, I will continue to be pregnant with autistic children until I decide to go through with the pregnancy. Fate is not in our hands, so why try to assume control over something out of our reach? just let be what will be.

I think that if the mother of the child in question knows that if her child was born it would be growing in a terrible environment, I think she should go for the abortion. but as long as there is someone who you can entrust your child to (like a family member; not orphanage) or you can take care of it yourself, then I say stay clear of the abortion (besides wouldn't you feel guilty getting an abortion or giving your child away if your perfectly capable of supporting it?). but then again, I think its always babies who do best when it comes to being adopted. most people when they go to adopt they want a child they can raise from scratch so its as if he/she really is there child. but its not like there's a shortage of children to be adopted for someone to wait until a baby is given up. heck, I would adopt a teenager if I could (years from now that is. too young to do anything. still a teenager myself). well thats it for now.

I think I did good this time rofl *excitement*

Sweet Days! blaugh
_Secret_Angel_3 heart 4laugh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:57 pm
how did they figure the 40 days? when they say not harmful to the mother, do they mean both physical AND mental?  

Iconised Ghost

Officer Hot-Pants

Dedicated Lunatic

9,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:31 am
I won't lie; I think it constitutes a murder. But if national consensus cannot show that at least... say 85% of the country thinks so, the I do not believe from a purely legal standpoint that it should be treated as such by the legal system. Until then, I'll be content to side with the "it's wrong" crowd, but will not support out-right outlawing until such a strong majority agrees, because I REALLY don't like the idea of setting precedent for law deciding so evenly split a decision by itself; tyranny begins with such "victories".  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:17 pm
personally I believe that life starts AT conception and so any kind of abortion is murder. a lot of ppl come with the argument that the mother has a right to do anything she wants to her body but i think (and right now im only basing this on the constitution) that according to the constitution she CAN do anything she wants with her body, unless it infringes on someone elses rights. if we agree that life begins at conception, then abortion would automatically be an infringement of another persons rights and also murder. I'm just doing this based on law but i also believe that it presents a moral issue based on my beliefs. i'm trying to say this as respectfully as possible but i just cant condone abortion in any sense at all.  

Impracticality

Magnetic Informer

5,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Autobiographer 200

Xx3mber5kyxX

Beloved Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:22 pm
I think abortion is wrong. I asked my friend one day that if he got a girl pregnant, and she didn't want the kid what would he do? He told me that he would tell the girl to have the kid and give it to him. He got me thinking in a different way. I knew before that having an abortion was killing, not something, but some one. Also that if you kill the baby, you're killing a little piece of you and its mother/father. It should be the girls pick because going through 9 months of pain must really hurt, but still. I mean come on! You're killing a defenseless baby for crying out loud!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:46 pm
it really depends on the situation.Wat if the baby daddy is an abuser,his gonna hurt the baby too.Wat if ur very poor and u cant even take care of ur self,how will u take care of the baby.Wat if u where raped?but if it was the oppisite and u fked ur bf/gf for the fun of it then thats a different story  

fli_as_can_be

Foxglow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:24 am
I never want children. I'm on the pill and use condoms. If I got pregnant, damn right I'd have an abortion. I believe that my rights come before that of a foetus. I believe that if the foetus can survive outside of the womb, then it can be considered a person. Until that time, it is part of the mother's body and she can do what she likes with it.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:05 am
Sonikku91
Outside of the health of the mother...do you think that under any circumstances abortion is an ethical choice?
no because they had sex and it was their choice so abortion is beyond wrong what did the baby do to them thats what im wandering  

Master CAMERO

5,950 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Trader 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Jukebox System

Shy Bunny

10,575 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:23 am
I'm hearing a lot of people say that abortion shouldn't be allowed because of "a woman's mistake."

Not all women who become pregnant do so because of "screwing around". There are so many young women who are raped in this day and age and sometimes the outcome of that is pregnancy.

Also there are times when even if every birth control possibility is set in place outside of removing the entire uterus and pregnancy still happens. These women usually have birth control set in place because they know they cannot responsibly raise a child.

Also there are other health factors beside risk to the mother that the mother can pass on to the child. Such as an array of mental illness, sickle cell disease, and other painful diseases that are hereditary.

So when a woman gets an abortion it's not just "oops, oh well better get rid of it" without any remorse whatsoever. It's a decision that takes a lot of thought and usually it takes a great toll on the woman's psyche as well.

So before you demonize the woman for "killing a child because she's a slut", take these into consideration.  
Extended Discussion!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff